No announcement yet.

{The List-} Cheats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I liked the way they did it in Civ 2 MGE. Have both a cheat mode, and an editor to make scenarios, though add just about everything you can change to it. That would be good, one for cheating, one for making scenarios.
    Vote Democrat
    Support Democracy

Comment

Except it would be worthless. Anyone who is going for score can still reload, just with slightly more hassle
      But if you were someone who played civ only for the ironman mode and it stated "ironman" on your victory toolbar and added the bonus, then it would all be worth it... and if you were the best player ever- then you could theoretically score 10% higher than the best reloader ever

Oh, and if we do have cheats, though, I'd like it not to be buggy. I found that whenever I saved a game and then opened the save, the cheats would be ON (the menu wasn't grayed out, but I wouldn't be flagged as having cheated
      Because you did cheat- you weren't ironman
      -->Visit CGN!
      -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

No, this happens even when you save and exit.

Comment

Originally posted by alva
          Great editor : .

Debug-mode : (here some cheats could be usefull I guess (for testing purposes.

cheat-mode : learn the game.
          Enuff Said
          Long Live The Horde
          Marshal of the Concordian Armed Forces
          Membership Officer of the Axe Grinders Guild

Comment

No, this happens even when you save and exit.
            I see... but what if it only let you save every say 100 turns and then, when you returned, you could only enter a 100-turn approved gamesave?
            -->Visit CGN!
            -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

What about crashes? What about when you have an urgent appointmnet? When you're dead tired? Inherently flawed- "Keep playing or else!"
              cIV list: cheats
              Now watch this drive!

Comment

Originally posted by DarkCloud

I see... but what if it only let you save every say 100 turns and then, when you returned, you could only enter a 100-turn approved gamesave?
                That would just be annoying. You should be able to save and exit a game if you need to go somewhere. Just remove the score bonus from Ironman.

Comment

skywalker- just because YOU find it annoying doesn't mean that EVERYONE would

What about crashes? What about when you have an urgent appointmnet? When you're dead tired? Inherently flawed- "Keep playing or else!"
                  that's the whole point of ironman- otherwise, as skywalker has noted- it would be pointless

And I think all you fail to realize that many people leave their computers on with games on overnight.

as for crashes- well that's the risk you suffer. if civ isn't buggy then they shouldn't be an issue
                  -->Visit CGN!

Comment

And I think all you fail to realize that many people leave their computers on with games on overnight.
                    And many more don't just leave them on overnight, they're gaming.
                    Visit First Cultural Industries
                    There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                    Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

hi ,

actually cheats are no longer needed thanks to the editor , but is it handy if lets say you are building a scen and discover that this and that is not correct , .... civ2 was handy with that , ....

maybe we should have a poll , .....

have a nice day
                      - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                      - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                      WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

one great things about having cheats included in the game is the fact, that less or no cheat programs at all get produced.

civ2-style was quite good
                        - Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity
                        - Atheism is a nonprophet organization.

Comment

Who gives a flying rat's patootie about scores?
                          Who is so lame that he runs around bragging "I scored 10,000 points in Civ 3 last night" to his friends?

Scores serve only two possible purposes - to help you assess your own improvement in playing the game or to judge your performance against other players in competitive situations. In the first case, you are your own judge and you know if you cheated. In the second case, you are at the mercy of the integrity of the other players and rely on them not to cheat; if you suspect a player is cheating - don't play with him.

I found the Civ2 cheat mode fun and instructive. (Let's not forget Civ is a GAME and fun is the primary objective.) If I grew bored with a game most of the time I would simply quit, but sometimes I would load up my cities with nukes (or other fun units) and just have some good old destructive fun; or maybe give some nukes to that pathetic civ sitting in the corner, just to see what they'd do with their new-found power. IIRC the score would be flagged as "cheating", but the score was not the point, it was the FUN. As I was learning the game I would somtimes use the cheat mode to explore different strategies without having to start from scratch each time- "let's see what helicopters can do in this situation".
                          OK, to be honest I didn't use the "instructive" aspect very often, it was usually "let's go have some FUN".
                          The (self-proclaimed) King of Parenthetical Comments.

Comment

skywalker- just because YOU find it annoying doesn't mean that EVERYONE would

......as for crashes- well that's the risk you suffer. if civ isn't buggy then they shouldn't be an issue
                            And what if it isn't the game that's buggy? What if its a person's electrical grid that is unreliable?
                            * A true libertarian is an anarchist in denial.
                            * If brute force isn't working you are not using enough.
                            * The difference between Genius and stupidity is that Genius has a limit.
                            * There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.

Comment

poll questions

If you cheat do:

Do you cheat to edit

Do you cheat to win

anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

personally, I cheat to edit.

Some scenarios, like panag mentioned, however, can be improved with the cheat menu...

It can also be used for quick modifications to terrain rules- if you want to increase the ease or difficulty of a certain game...

say the Zulu have jungle tiles- but you want to give them a +1 bonus to food gathering in the jungle- you either adjust the Civilization Bonuses or the Terrain Tile and give them that... then they have an advantage over you..

and viola! Instant replayability!
                                -->Visit CGN!

Comment

Working...
                                X